Beer Cocktail Recipe: Frosamosarita
Let's be real, when you go to a craft beer fest, you're going to drink a lot of good to great beer, some are going to completely miss the mark and there will be a few times you're completely blown away by something. While at Good Libations Beer Fest, Illinois Craft Beer Week's closing event, we were blown away by Revolution Brewing's Rosamosa — simply, half orange juice and half Rosa, the brewery's seasonal hibiscus ale. It was slightly tart, citrusy, refreshing and a beautiful rosy orange color, the perfect summer drink.
Was it perfect though? This was the question I couldn't get out of my head when planning our Summer Over Beer kick-off BBQ. I knew Rosamosa on its own would be a guaranteed crowd pleaser, but it would also be a lot more fun to serve a beverage of our own creation.
While walking to get coffee one morning, I asked myself, "What if we froze it? Would that work?" Sure, it would be a little more unique, but essentially the same drink we had at Good Libations. So, alright, let's think. What pairs well with citrusy hibiscus? Lime. To call it a true beer cocktail though, we would need to incorporate liquor, and with lime in the mix now, why not Tequila? Nothing ever goes wrong with Tequila.
Frosamosarita is born — frozen, part Rosa, part mimosa, part margarita. The end result has a grapefruit-like tartness. It's boozy and refreshingly icy. It's also super easy to make and serve.
Total Quantity: 60 oz. | Recommended Serving Size: 10 oz. | Prep Time: 15 min + Overnight Freeze Time
What you'll need:
- 6-pack of Revolution Rosa — 3 cans for recipe, 3 cans for crushing another time
- Carton of orange juice, no pulp
- 3 limes
- Bottle of Tequila — 6 shots needed for this recipe
- Large plastic bowl
- Pitcher for serving
How to make:
- In the large plastic bowl, mix together 2 cans of Rosa, 12 oz. of orange juice, 4 shots of Tequila and the juice squeezed from 1 and a half limes.
- Place the mixture in your freezer, and let sit overnight.
- When ready to serve, take the mixture out of freezer and scrape with spoon until entire bowl is filled with thin ice shavings.
- Transfer the ice shaving into the pitcher you will be using to serve your Frosamosarita, and mix in another can of Rosa, 6 oz. of orange juice, two shots of Tequila and juice squeezed from half of a lime. Make sure it's consistency is slush.
- Slice the 3rd lime to garnish with, serve and enjoy!